Saturday, July 8, 2017

Out of the Shadows


Title:  Out of the Shadows

Author:  Emma Carrie                                                                                  

Pages:  87     Format:  ebook

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Dad and Me Publishing



Out of the Shadows, a novella by Emma Carrie, is a story about a teenage girl who is on the run from her “handler,” a man from her past. She had found refuge with a college professor, but when the professor dies from cancer, the mysterious girl, Emily, is on her own again. It was the dying professor’s wish that her best friend, Detective Victoria Tackett, would take Emily in because they would be good for each other. Throughout the story, Emily is on the run, but trying to borrow the letter that the professor had written to Tackett.

The story is well-written, and the mystery of Emily is interesting from the sense that I wanted to know what has happened to this girl, and why is she on the run, which is gradually revealed with veiled references to the man who is trying to find her. This novella is the first in a series, and I want to find out Emily’s story as her relationship to Detective Tackett grows and more about her past that has put her in danger. I think the story has promise as it continues to unfold; however, I did find this installment a little slow throughout the first forty to fifty pages, which made it difficult to keep my attention at times. The story’s action did pick up, which motivated me to invest myself more into it by the time I finished reading. I think that one thing that could have been improved would have been adding the antagonist to the story rather than just making vague references to him. I am confident he will show up in future novellas in the series, but the threat in this story didn’t seem to have a strong enough impact.

Although I had some minor issues as mentioned above, I still think this is a good story and has much potential as it continues to develop in the planned sequels. I do want to read the other novellas in the series as they become available.

My rating is 4.

Guest review by Cleve Johnson

Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter@lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment